Probiotics are 'good' or 'friendly' bacteria which are found in the gut, and they are very important for many reasons, they:-
• defend against disease, harmful bacteria, viruses, and fungi
• produce essential B vitamins
• produce short chain fatty acids which are the fuel for the cells of the colon
• strengthen and improve the digestion
• improve resistance to infection
• produce substances which act as natural antibiotics
• when taken as a supplement will replenish supplies of healthy bacteria in the gut
A probiotic supplement strengthens the immune system, is very important after the use of antibiotics and after diarrhoea or vomiting because in those situations the levels of good bacteria in the gut have generally been 'wiped' out. It can also be beneficial if suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, arthritis, eczema, acne, PMS and constipation.
N.B All the probiotics available at 100% Nature are formulated in a base of fructo-oligosaccharides (F.O.S) - the substrate on which healthy bacteria feed.