Calcium D3 + K is a combination supplement that contains a high percentage of elemental calcium in an easily absorbed form. Calcium and vitamin D are needed for the maintenance of normal bone in adults as well as for the growth of bone in children. A sufficient daily intake of calcium is important in older adults, particularly women around the menopause, as well as in young people, to build up strong bones at an early age and counteract the loss of bone mass which occurs in later life.
Vitamin K contributes to the maintenance of normal bone as well as contributing to normal blood clotting. Vitamin D also contributes to normal absorption of calcium and phosphorous and the maintenance of normal blood calcium concentrations.
Why Pharma Nord Bio-Calcium + D3 + K:
- Manufactured to pharmaceutical standards.
- Bio-Calcium contains vitamin D3 and K, which both promote the absorption of calcium.
- Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is the most absorbable form of vitamin D.
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body, which contains approximately 1.2 Kg, 99% of which is stored in bones and teeth, with the remaining 1% present in the blood and other bodily tissues. The skeleton acts as a reservoir for calcium; if the intake of calcium is insufficient, bones become depleted in calcium.
Calcium cannot be absorbed from the digestive system without vitamin D, which is made in the skin in response to sunlight (vitamin D levels decline with age, and a daily intake of 200-400 IU/day is required). Vitamin K promotes the uptake of calcium into bone tissue.
Calcium supplements are available in a variety of chemical forms, most commonly calcium carbonate, calcium citrate, calcium gluconate and calcium phosphate. The elemental calcium provided varies with chemical form, e.g. calcium carbonate provides 40% elemental calcium, whereas calcium gluconate provides only 9% elemental calcium. The lower the elemental calcium content, the more tablets that are required to meet recommended intakes.
Each tablet of Pharma-Nord Bio-Calcium + D3 + K contains 500mg of calcium (as calcium malate and calcium carbonate), in an easily absorbable form with a high % of elemental calcium. In addition, each tablet contains 5 microgm of vitamin D3, and 35 microgm of vitamin K.
Declared content per tablet:
- Calcium 500mg 63%*
- Vitamin D3 5µg 100%*
- Vitamin K 35µg 47%
*Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA)
- Peppermint powder
- Silicon dioxide
- Magnesium stearate
- Hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose
Pharma Nord recommends 1-3 tablets per day or as directed by a physician.
Can be chewed or swallowed whole.
Recommend Daily Allowance
Calcium has recently been revised by the National Research Council of the USA to 1000mg/day for men and women aged 19-50 years, and 1200mg/day for those aged 50-70 years
A daily calcium intake as high as 2500mg appears to be safe with no reported adverse effects.
Higher intakes may result in gastrointestinal disturbance, interfere with the absorption of zinc, magnesium and iron and may lead to formation of kidney stones in susceptible people.
People with thyroid or kidney disease should take calcium supplements with caution.
Calcium supplements may interfere with the action of the calcium blocking drug Verapamil.
Pregnant or lactating women and those on medication should consult a doctor before using any product
Suitable for vegetarians.